bug triage in software testing
1. It is a process
2. Each bug is prioritized
3. Priority is based on the severity
4. In the bug triage multiple people are involved
5. This process is used typically in a larger projects
Importance of bug triage
- This is important as sometimes it is not possible to fix all bugs due to time and resources
- Some bugs may require small effort and impact big, such bugs needs to be prioritized(bug evaluation)
- Bug fixing decisions will be taken to act
- Meeting decides which bug will be fixed for this release and which bug will be postponed
- A good bug triage ends with successful release
Bug triage meeting participants(Triage team)
- Test Lead
- Project Manager
- Development Lead(s)
- Business analyst
- Scrum master
Roles and Responsibilities of Participants
- Prepares test report
- Each bug is having priority and severity set
- Discusses each defect
- Owns bug triage meeting
- Ensures triage team is available with details
- Unblocks if there are any hurdles to resolve the bugs
- Acts as a mediator between the members
- Make sure all planned bugs are resolved
- Discuss bugs in technical aspects
- Analyze the complexity in bug fixing
- Analyze the root cause of the bug
- Estimate effort for planned bug fixing and fix resolution date
- Provides the priority from the business prospect
- Helps in bug assignment based on resource availability
Bug triage process – question on each bug
Bug Review -> Bug assessment -> Bug assignment
Is this a valid bug?
Is defect worth to fix it?
When to fix the bug?
Who will fix it?
For more details follow the below video,
Upvote if you like the answer.